Thursday, April 27, 2006

I need Purple!

Do you ever feel like if you don't have something NOW, that you'll shrivel up and the world will stop turning? Sometimes I feel that way about chocolate, but today I feel like that about PURPLE. Yes, a color. I really should be experimenting with something Project Spectrum-ish, since I am a member. But I just need some purple today. I have no idea why. Right now, I have a deep, dark, mysterious purple, a medium pink purple, a medium blue purple and a light lilac purple waiting for the dyepot. They just have to wait until my two skeins of Peace Fleece Pumpkin are done simmering. I love it when I suddenly feel inspired by color. I love seeing the results when I'm done. I think the lilac bushes that are blooming in my yard today are responsible for the deep-seated need to create something purple. I'll let you know how the purple adventure turns out.

In the mean time, I think I'm off to spin up some Hydrangea roving. It's for sale in my store, but has been tempting me to spin it for the past 3 days. I might just give in. I love the feel of wool through my fingers...the process of forming and crafting it into something new, something soft, something beautiful. Handspun is such a joy to knit with too. It's always doing something a little unexpected. Not overt, but lovely, subtle shifts that make the knitting interesting in spite of the miles of stockinette. Sigh. I just love textiles and fibers. Early in our marriage (and just before) Mr. N used to call me the Textile Princess because of my strong affinity for all things fibery. I really don't discriminate. Embroidery, sewing, quilting, crochet, knit, yarn, wool, sheep....you name it and I love it.

Crafting brings me joy. There are times when inspiration runs dry, but also glorious spring days where I feel I'll never be able to create all the ideas I have simply because there is not enough time.

No comments: